The Lawn in Brunswick Square is a 1.5-acre privately-owned public garden which is open to the public on weekdays and Saturdays
The gardens were first established in 1825 and are the only remaining Georgian gardens in the city today. The area is strong in history and has played a major role in the history of the City of Gloucester.
Today, the gardens are an environmental community project with the emphasis on conservation, preservation and education. Much has been achieved in the last few years to successfully encourage wildlife back into these historic gardens. Many old and rare plants and trees have been preserved and new trees planted to replace those that have died. We have catalogued the plants, trees, small birds and animals living in the gardens to record the information for future generations.
There are nine grade listed buildings around the square, which has been part of the Eastgate and St Michaels conservation area since 1968.
The square dates back to the Roman era when it was known as the Gaudy Green. Archaeological excavations of the site have found a Roman graveyard and Albion Street is also believed to be of Roman origin. In Elizabethan times, it was home to the city’s stocks. It was also used for leisure, as archery was practised here.