A Brief history.
The church built in 1820, by private subscription. Known as the Spa Church it was to cater for the needs of those moving into the Spa area of Gloucester. When the Spa waters failed, so did the church. It was taken over by the Diocese and renamed Christ Church.
A considerable amount of work was carried out between 1880 and 1910. resulting in an interior which has been described as ‘a little gem’, not only by Nicholas Pevsner, but by the many who visit the church during the Heritage Week each year.
Christ Church has played a very important role in the life of the community, and despite a rapidly dwindling congregation, continues to do so. Tai Chi/ Kung Foo have training sessions twice a week, Alcoholics Anonymous meet 3 times a week in the Parish Room, the Guides Association have a uniform shop each Saturday on the first floor.
With a good stage, concerts have been held featuring the St Petersburg Brass Quintet (twice), Neva Russicum singers (twice), Churchdown Male Voice Choir and the Gloucester Police Band. Two concerts for the 3 Choirs Festival were also held last year. The church has excellent acoustics, some stage lighting, a new PA system, no pillars, and seating for 200. A glazed screen divides the main body of the church from the toilets, and Parish room which can seat 30.
The side pews have been retained, and four of the central pews. The nave space has been carpeted for uses which require energetic or floor exercises, and this space is filled by comfortable stack chairs when required for services or concerts. The choir pews are removable, and with the apron stage, there is a good performing area.
Christ Church is easily accessible, and there is evening street parking. The Parochial Church Council want the church to be used as often as possible during the week, and Sundays, after 1.00 pm. As a community asset, a charge is made only to cover heating, lighting and cleaning
In Christ Church, Brunswick Square, Gloucester, there is a Roll of Honour of the Old Contemptibles Association, Gloucester Branch. The Association took their name from the derogatory remark made by the Kaiser at the outbreak of WW1. ‘They have a contemptible little army’. Christ Church was used by the Gloucester Branch for their services of remembrance. There is a faded newspaper report of the final service, when numbers had decreased mainly due to old age. The Roll of Honour shows the names, dates of death, and regiment, of each member. Gloucester men were obviously in many regiments not just the Gloucesters.
For further details contact John Gannon using the following contact form: